Special Georgia poets issue includes:
Kathryn Stripling Byer
George David Clark
Starkey Flythe, Jr.
Linda Lee Harper
Robert S. King
William L. Ramsey
Matthew Buckley Smith
R. T. Smith
A. E. Stallings
Memye Curtis Tucker
. . . a journal dedicated to poetry
SPR is the second oldest poetry journal in the region, with its origins in Florida and subsequent moves to North Carolina and now Georgia. Continuing the tradition of editorial openness and response to writers that began with Guy Owen in 1958, SPR publishes poems from all over the country as well as from abroad and maintains a worldwide readership. Past issues feature work from Chana Bloch, Billy Collins, Alice Friman, David Hernandez, Andrew Hudgins, Maxine Kumin, Heather McHugh, Sue William Silverman, R. T. Smith, Eric Trethewey, and Cecilia Woloch.
SPR reads submissions year-round and annually sponsors The Guy Owen Prize Contest. The result is a semi-annual literary publication showcasing poems by leading poets as well as those writers we think will become leading poets. We look forward to hearing from you and reading your work.
web site: www.armstrong.edu/Liberal_Arts/llp/llp_james_smith_jr
Managing Editor: Tony Morris
web site: www.tonymorris.org
- Congratulations to Janet Smith, whose poem, “The Children’s Section,” was selected by Arthur Smith as the winner of the 2013 Guy Owen Prize.
- PoetryDaily.org publishes "Heavy Rain in the Parking Lot," and "Word Choice" by Coleman Barks from issue 50:2.
- Congratulations to Susan Schmidt whose poem, "If They Came Our Way," was selected by Kathryn Stripling Byer to win the 2012 Guy Owen Prize.
- Elton Glaser selected to appear in The Pushcart Prize XXXVII: Best of the Small Presses for his poem "Do the Do."
- PoetryDaily.org publishes "Drinking Like a Fish," by William Greenway from issue 49:2.
- Catherine Staples' poem, "Red Rover," was selected by Carl Dennis as the winner of the 2011 Guy Owen Prize. Staples will receive $1000 and publication in issue 49:1 of Southern Poetry Review.
- PoetryDaily.org publishes "Bourbon," by R. T. Smith from issue 48:2.
- Congratulations to Elton Glaser whose poem, "Do the Do" was selected by Betty Adcock to win the 2010 Guy Owen Prize.
- VerseDaily.org publishes "Woodpecker," by Harry Bauld from issue 47:2.
- Elton Glaser is the winner of the 2009 Guy Owen Prize. Glaser will receive $1,000. His poem, "Slow Fuse Around the Cranium," selected by David Wagoner, will appear in Southern Poetry Review, 47:2. Check out Guy Owen Prize for guidelines and information about the award.
- VerseDaily.org publishes "Lightweights," by Jeff Hardin from issue 47:1.
- VerseDaily.org publishes "Lifeguards," by William Greenway from issue 47:1.